Lynton House Vets
Lynton House Veterinary Group

Out of hours, call us at your local practice

Travel Advice

Pet Microchipping - Weybridge - Lynton House Veterinary Group - Pet Travel

You are responsible for ensuring your pet meets all the rules for entering the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme,so ALWAYS refer to the DEFRA website for the most up to date information.

Travel Advice

Lots of our clients like to travel with their pets and we are pleased to offer a comprehensive service for pet passports or pet exports. Veterinary surgeons at our 3 Practices can act on behalf of DEFRA to authorise and complete the relevant documents.

There are some diseases your pet may be at risk from if travelling to mainland Europe, especially Southern Europe. Please contact the Practice and we will be happy to advise on the best preventative measures to minimise the risk of your pet contracting any of these diseases.

Pet Passports

Since 2000, the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) has allowed cats, dogs and ferrets to enter the UK from certain countries without having to be placed in quarantine. This means you can now take pets on holiday with you, subject to the conditions of the scheme. Currently only dogs, cats and ferrets are covered by PETS. Animals resident in the UK can now travel to most European countries as well as many more distant destinations. For a list of participating countries or for further information on passports or exports please go to the DEFRA website .

What do I need to get a passport for my pet?

  • Your animal must be over 12 weeks of age
  • A microchip is implanted if your pet does not already have one
  • A rabies vaccination is given after the microchip is implanted (this can all be done in one visit)
  • A passport can then be issued
  • The passport is valid for travel 21days after the rabies vaccine is given. As long as the rabies vaccination is kept up-to-date, the 21 day wait will not apply after subsequent vaccinations
  • Currently our vaccines have a 3 year licence, but please be aware that, if living in certain countries for more than 3 months, then yearly boosters may be required
  • Before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. 


An export differs from a passport in that it is valid for a one way journey from the UK to another country and is appropriate for countries not in the PET scheme eg Brazil, Israel. Export requirements vary widely between different countries and the first step you must take is to contact DEFRA to fill in an application for export. This application will also have a section to put our details on it so we can carry out the necessary steps to issue completed export certification.

We would strongly advise you start this several months before you intend to travel as export requirements sometimes involve several blood tests and treatments which need to be administered at specific intervals prior to the export date. Once you have filled out your application for export it is sent back to DEFRA. The export paperwork is then sent directly to us for completion. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions regarding exports.
Click here for our downloadable Travel Advice document. Call us if you have any questions, we love to help
Share by: